Friday, August 25, 2017

FREE MISC. LESSON - “Poly Spot Sight Words/Spelling Game”

by A Turn to Learn
Pre-Kindergarten - 4th Grade


NOTE: THIS IS A TEMPLATE FOR A REALLY FUN GAME, YOU CAN READ THE DETAILS FOR THE GAME BELOW, OR ON MY BLOG (WITH PICTURES) AT: 

http://aturntolearn.blogspot.com/2012/03/poly-spot-sight-wordsspelling-game.html 

I print our current sight words on index cards in all different colors, and I print enough so that each child has five cards. It ends up for a lot of cards! I only print one set for each month so I'm not printing them too often! 

When I do the lesson, I give each student a poly spot and five cards (the cards are stored with 5 cards together of the same color together for time/organization purposes). I make sure that each student has five cards in a different color than their partner. 

I have the students hide their five cards under their poly spot and put some music on the smartboard in Smart Notebook. I link each speaker with a different upbeat, kid-friendly song and let the kids pick which song they want to play. The kids love the bright speakers! 

I can't include the music because of copyright obviously, but I provided step by step directions on how you can link the speakers to your own songs! 

Anyway, back to the game. Each child has their five cards under their poly spots and when the music starts, the kids dance around! When the music stops, they have to stop dancing and pull a word out from under their poly spot. I play two different variations of this game: 

1. Reading - Show your partner the word you picked and have them read it. 

2. Spelling - Read your card to your partner and have them spell it for you. 

Once the partners read/spell the words, they trade cards with their partner and put them at the bottom of their pile. (This is where it is helpful to have the two different colors... I used to give each pair the same color but they some students kept picking the same two words! The different colors help students find a new word quicker and helps keep some variation with the words!) 

At the end of the game, I collect the cards in groups of five to store for next time. The kids absolutely love playing this game and ask to play it all the time! 

My favorite part of this game (aside from the music, dancing, and excitement!) is its versatility. A 3rd grade teacher at my school had the kids write their own word problems on index cards and answer their partner's word problems. You can literally use this for any sort of review... my kids even asked me if we could do this for number order before our math test!





Join The Best of Teacher Entrepreneurs Marketing Cooperative at
http://www.thebestofteacherentrepreneursmarketingcooperative.com/2014/01/the-best-of-teacher-entrepreneurs.html
and get THOUSANDS OF PAGE VIEWS for your TpT products!


Go to http://www.pinterest.com/TheBestofTPT/ for even more free products!






No comments:

Post a Comment